Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A contemporary Creole dish from New Orleans. If you can't find Creole tomatoes, just use a very red, ripe tomato such as Roma.
- Cut tomatoes into quarters.
- Cut the jalapeno in half.
- Place tomatoes, jalapeno, salt and basil into a large 4-quart pot and add 2 cups of water. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 90 minutes.
- Pour the soup through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth to remove any pulp. Reserve the liquid and place in refrigerator until cold.
- Clean and devein the shrimp. Grill about 2-3 minutes per side, until just done.
- Place shrimp in a bowl with olive oil, red wine vinegar, basil stem, and the juice of one jalapeno. The marinade will continue to cook the shrimp and infuse the flavors.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator.
- Chill 4 shallow soup bowls.
- Ladle the chilled bowls into 1/2-1 cup tomato broth. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and blot the excess marinade with a paper towel then place four shrimp in each bowl. finish with a garnish of fresh jalapeno slivers.