Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is similar to Chili's Awesome Blossom. From Copykat.com (http://www.copykat.com)
- 1 prepared onion
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons mccormick seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mccormick seasoning salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Onion may be sliced like a blossom by cutting the top 1/4 off, the top has the stem.
- Then peel and be very careful to leave the root intact.
- Carefully slice from the top of the onion down but stop about 1/2" before you get to the root, taking care not to cut through the root.
- Slice the rest of the onion like a pie into many servings.
- When complete, soak onion in cold ice water for 1/2 hr.
- so the onion's petals will start to open up and bloom.
- Drain onion and dip in flour mixture and dust well.
- Dip onion then in buttermilk and back in flour mixture.
- Place in hot oil and fry until golden.
- Oil should cover onion.
- When done drain well and place on plate and cut center out of onion so the petals may easily be removed.
- Dipping Sauce: Mix all together and serve in the middle of the onion blossom.
- Garnish with paprika and just a dash of red pepper.
Didn't make this as I could never eat an awesome blossom. However, I work at Chili's and that's not even close to blossom sauce. It contains mayo, NOT sour cream for one.
I used a favorite packaged seasoned flour blend for blossoms that we really like and made this dipping sauce recipe to serve with it. I haven't had Chili's dipping sauce so I can't attest to how close this is to their's, but we thought this was a great sauce - and liked it with our other vegtables too. I only added a couple of shakes of red pepper as DH isn't a fan of anything past mild heat. Pretty sure anytime I serve onion blossoms I'll be making this sauce as well. Thank-you for sharing!
It really didn't taste like the dip at all