Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Chilindron is a sofrito which is a basic tomato sauce used in Spanish, Latin American and Caribbean Island cooking, particularly Puerto Rico and Cuba. It can be made in quantity and stored in the refrigerator for a few weeks or sauteed at the last minute. This is a great sauce for meat such as chicken or rabbit. It's also great over pasta and rice. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 cups smoked ham, diced (serrano)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- Saute the garlic in the olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and peppers; saute until tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.