Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 12 large poblano chiles (fresh)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- chihuahua cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese or 1⁄4 onion, sm yel, coarse chop
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- Make the Crema Fresca ahead of time: mix Cream and Sour Cream together.
- Cover and let stand at room temp. until thickened, 8 hours or overnight.
- Chill until ready to use.
- Char the Chili Peppers over a gas flame until blackened on all sides.
- Wrap them in a plastic bag and let stand for 10 minutes to steam.
- Peel and core the Chilies.
- Remove seeds, rinse and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Generously Butter a 9" pie pan (preferably porcelain or stoneware with 2" sides).
- Open up Chili Peppers and arrange around sides of pan skin side down, point toward center of pan, extending about 1/2" above rim.
- Cover bottom of pan with Chilies.
- Finely grate cheese with Onion and garlic in a processor using on/off pulses, about 30 seconds.
- Add Eggs and Salt.
- Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides, about 15 seconds.
- Mix in the Crema Fresca (the Mexican equivalent of creme fraiche).
- Pour this filling over the Chilies.
- Curl the edges of the Chilies over the filling.
- Bake until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cover Chili edges with fOil to prevent burning, if necessary.
- Cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.