Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Vegetarian chili recipe that appeared in a 1988 Bon Appetit magazine. Wheat berries add a nice chewy bite. If unavailable, they can be omitted. Serve with Baked Polenta with Cheese and Jalapenos. Instructions are for for food processor from original article, although I just use a knife. Enjoy!
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 medium serrano peppers or 1 medium jalapeno chili, stemmed
- 2 large red onions, quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup wheat berries
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium bell peppers, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained (liquid reserved)
- 0.5 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- shredded longhorn colby cheese
- sour cream
- sliced green onion
- Steel Knife: With machine running, drop garlic and chili through feed tube and mince. Add red onions and mince using about 9 on/off turns.
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add red onion mixture and wheat berries and cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Steel Knife: Coarsely chop half of carrots and half of bell peppers using on/off turns. Add to wheat berry mixture. Coarsely chop remaining carrots and bell peppers using on/off turns. Add to wheat berry mixture.
- Steel Knife: Coarsely chop tomatoes using several on/off turns.
- Add tomatoes, reserved tomato liquid, tomato paste, oregano, cumin, cayenne and salt to wheat berry mixture. Simmer until wheat berries are tender but still chewy, stirring mixture occasionally, about 50 minutes.
- Add beans and mushrooms to wheat berry mixture. Simmer until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. (Can be prepared 4 days ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat.) Adjust seasoning. Place 1 polenta round in each soup bowl. Spoon chili over. Serve with cheese, sour cream, and green onions.