Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in my packet of Penzeys Taste of Mexico spices. This cornbread has great texture and flavor. This is a great alternative to the usual chili or Mexican cornbread with corn.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- Stir Ancho Chili Pepper and Mexican Oregano into 1/3 cup hot water, set aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir with a fork to blend.
- In a small bowl, lightly mix buttermilk, egg, oil, honey and water with Ancho and Oregano. Add to dry mix, stir to blend.
- Spread evenly into greased skillet.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, add shredded cheese and serve hot.
- For a spicier cornbread, add 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoons ground Chipotle peppers to the mix.