Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I first had this at a New Year's Eve party about 25-30 years ago, go the recipe, and have been fixing it ever since. It tastes great! Prep time does not include time for the rolls to chill.
- 2 lbs Velveeta cheese or 2 lbs other process American cheese, at room temperature
- 1 lb cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, finely minced,to taste
- 3⁄4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- chili powder, as needed for coating
- 1 whole red chile, cut into strips,for decoration
- assorted cracker, as accompaniment
- melba toast, as accompaniment
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together cheeses and garlic.
- An electric mixer can be used.
- DO NOT USE A BLENDER.
- Mix in chopped nuts.
- Form into 2 or 3 rolls on plastic wrap, and use to help form the rolls.
- Chill until firm.
- Unwrap rolls, sprinkle all over with chili powder and chill for at least a couple hours to allow flavor to develop.
- Garnish with chili strips in a star-pattern.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature with assorted crackers.
- Note: If fixing for home consumption, don't bother with forming into rolls and decorating.
- Just mix everything together, including a generous amount of chili powder, and store in refrigerator in a covered container.
This really is a tasty cheese spread. My recipe calls for pecans. for a frame of reference, I use 3T chili powder to roll the cheese log in.