Recipe by Caryn
Family favorite recipe when I was growing up. Easy to make and very tasty.
Top Review by Mark H.
Great recipe Caryn. The sauce and corn chips create a taste similar to tamales. I made one slight alteration...I doubled the meat, which means I should have known to use a bigger pan. Oh well, live and learn. Still a great casserole that we will make again. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 package chili seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup light cream (or milk)
- 1 (6 ounce) package corn chips
- 4 -6 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded (depending on your love of cheese)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef until crumbly, drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Add onion; saute until tender.
- Add tomato sauce, seasoning mix, and water; simmer 5 minutes.
- Beat eggs slightly; add light cream (or milk).
- Mix well.
- Remove tomato-chili sauce from heat; add egg-cream mixture slowly, stirring constantly.
- Place 1/2 corn chips into the bottom of a 2 quart casserole; top with 1/2 of meat.
- Add layer of jack cheese; cover with 1/2 tomato-chili sauce.
- Repeat layers.
- Frost the top with the sour cream.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in 325 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.