Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love shrimp and these have lots of flavor. And you can adjust the spiciness to your own preference.
- 2 tablespoons pure chile powder (like ancho or New Mexico, to taste)
- cayenne, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs shrimp, preferably large, peeled
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- limes or lemon wedge
- Combine the chile powder, cayenne, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Put the oil in a large skillet over med/high heat.
- Toss the shrimp in the spice mixture to coat.
- When the oil in hot(a pinch of cornmeal will sizzle), toss in about half the shrimp or whatever number will fit in one layer.
- Turn the heat to high and cook until brown on one side.
- Then turn and brown the other side, adjusting the heat so the shrimp brown without burning, 4-5 minutes total.
- Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Garnish and serve with the lime or lemon.
Very good and easy to do!! My shrimp were well-coated and coloured, maybe I was a bit enthusiastic with the spices, but we enjoyed them, not overly spicy, and went well with the pasta I had prepared. Many thanks for a good recipe, prepared for ZWT5