Recipe by Midwest Maven
I love shrimp and these have lots of flavor. And you can adjust the spiciness to your own preference.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Very good and easy to do!! My shrimp were well-coated and coloured, maybe I was a bit enthusiastic with the spices, but we enjoyed them, not overly spicy, and went well with the pasta I had prepared. Many thanks for a good recipe, prepared for ZWT5
- 2 tablespoons pure chile powder (like ancho or New Mexico, to taste)
- cayenne, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs shrimp, preferably large, peeled
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- limes or lemon wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the chile powder, cayenne, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Put the oil in a large skillet over med/high heat.
- Toss the shrimp in the spice mixture to coat.
- When the oil in hot(a pinch of cornmeal will sizzle), toss in about half the shrimp or whatever number will fit in one layer.
- Turn the heat to high and cook until brown on one side.
- Then turn and brown the other side, adjusting the heat so the shrimp brown without burning, 4-5 minutes total.
- Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Garnish and serve with the lime or lemon.