1/1 Photo of Chile Con Carne (Canning)
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I personally have not canned this one yet, but expect to soon. I'm posting by request, this recipe is from the USDA Complete Guide To Home Canning & Preserving. Be sure to measure ingredients exactly, but extra salt (or less salt), pepper or chili powder will not adversely affect canning results. Prep time does not include soaking time for beans, cooking time does not include time to get up to pressure.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups dried pinto beans or 3 cups red kidney beans
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper, of your choice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 -6 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 quarts canned crushed tomatoes or 2 quarts canned whole tomatoes
- 1Wash beans thoroughly and place them in a 2 qt saucepan.
- 2Add cold water to a level of 2 to 3 inches above the beans and soak 12 to 18 hours.
- 3Drain and discard water.
- 4Combine beans with 5-1/2 c of fresh water and 2 tsp salt and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- 6Drain and discard water.
- 7Brown ground beef, chopped onions and optional peppers in a skillet.
- 8Drain off fat and add 3 tsp salt, pepper, chili powder, tomatoes and drained cooked beans.
- 9Simmer 5 minutes.
- 10CAUTION: Do Not Thicken.
- 11Fill jars, leaving 1" headspace.
- 12Adjust lids and process in pressure canner.
- 13Dial Gauge Pressure Canner:.
- 1475 minutes.
- 1511 lb at 0-2,000 ft (altitude); 12 lb at 2,001-4,000 ft; 13 lb at 4,001-6,000; 14 lb at 6,001-8,000 ft.
- 16Weight Gauge Pressure Canner:.
- 1775 minutes.
- 1810 lb at 0-1,000 ft; 15 lb at above 1,000 ft.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chile Con Carne (Canning)
Serving Size: 1 (3673 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 562.1
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 102.8 mg
- Sodium 1419.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 42.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: