Recipe by foxysnana
A comforting lunch or dinner dish. This easy to make casserole is a great way to use up leftover tortillas. Canned mild green chilies add juts the right amount of heat-even for finicky kids.
Top Review by puppitypup
We liked it! You're right that the two cans of green chilis is just right. I would have marked it higher, but it seemed like it was missing something, just can't put my finger on it. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Tag, please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 12 corn tortillas, torn into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until tender.
- Grease 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Spread half the tortillas along bottom of baking dish.
- Sprinkle half the cheese and 1 can chilies over top.
- Sprinkle onion mixture over chilies.
- Repeat layering with remaining tortillas, cheese and chilies.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano in medium bowl.
- Pour over casserole.
- Bake 45 minutes until set and browned on top.