Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nothing fancy about this dish - just good eating. Round off with some feta cheese and crusty bread.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (or same amount, tinned)
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, chopped and defrosted
- 1 -2 lemon, juice of (to taste)
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are tender.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, pepper flakes (to suit your taste), and oregano,and paprika.
- Cover and simmer for about 18 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and cook about 7 minutes longer, or until spinach is cooked.
- Add the lemon juice (I usually like to add the juice of about 1 1/2 lemons. Add the juice of 1 lemon, taste and adjust to your own, personal taste), salt and pepper.
We love this dish! My hubby is a vegetarian and I am always looking for easy vegetarian meals that make everyone happy :) The only think I do differently is I use fresh spinach as i do not like the taste of frozen spinach. Like many others I was thinking I was going to need to umph it up a little with more spice, so I had them ready but it was completely not needed. Perfect as is :)
Like other reviewers, I thought this recipe was very good. It is very simple, not a whole lot of prep. I used green onions instead of conventional ones, canned chickpeas and tomatoes, and frozen spinach. I served it over brown rice. I think it would be great in a pita pocket, too. Fiance loved it and expressed a desire for me to make it again.
YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY! This was just what I wanted. I did use 2 bags fresh spinach (what i had onehand) instead of frozen (i think this made it better!) Served with white rice.