Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a recipe that I got from a vegetarian cookbook and made a few modifications to. We have fallen for this dish and now make it a few times a month. My two year old also loves it. We tried it out on some non-vegetarians and they all loved it.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup parsley
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup basmati rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups water
- Cook water, rice, thyme, and bay leaf and set aside.
- Heat olive oil and half of the butter in a skillet and then add chickpeas.
- When chickpeas start to lightly brown (about 5 mins) add parsley and the sun-dried tomatoes and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add oregano, basil, salt, and pepper and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix rice and chickpeas together until rice is a golden color.
- Mix in remaining butter (cubed) and Parmesan cheese.
So delicious! I halved the butter and oil, and I still adore this dish.
Made this last night. I added a roasted red pepper and zucchini. I also used fresh oregano. It was very yummy and will now be added to our dinnier list as it was easy to make and very easy to alter.
Very good!!! I made this just as written and next time ---and there will definately be a next time --- I will add extra sun-dried tomatoes. Thank you for posting!