This is a recipe that I got from a vegetarian cookbook and made a few modifications to. We have fallen for this dish and now make it a few times a month. My two year old also loves it. We tried it out on some non-vegetarians and they all loved it.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup parsley
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup basmati rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups water
- Cook water, rice, thyme, and bay leaf and set aside.
- Heat olive oil and half of the butter in a skillet and then add chickpeas.
- When chickpeas start to lightly brown (about 5 mins) add parsley and the sun-dried tomatoes and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add oregano, basil, salt, and pepper and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix rice and chickpeas together until rice is a golden color.
- Mix in remaining butter (cubed) and Parmesan cheese.
So delicious! I halved the butter and oil, and I still adore this dish.
Made this last night. I added a roasted red pepper and zucchini. I also used fresh oregano. It was very yummy and will now be added to our dinnier list as it was easy to make and very easy to alter.
Quick, easy and so yummy. I cooked the rice in chicken broth to add more flavor. Of course, this renders the dish no longer vegetarian but does add a wonderful touch to the dish.