Recipe by Dr. Jenny
I made this tasty recipe for lunch today. I really liked it. DH did not care for it as much. I used a hot curry powder, which really gave the dish a nice kick. From the October 2011 issue of "Real Simple." I had to simmer somewhat longer than specified in the recipe to get the consistency that I liked.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- naan bread, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas, spinach, 2 cups water, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper to the saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is slightly thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, cucumber, cilantro, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Serve the chickpea mixture with the yogurt sauce and naan.