This may sound strange but I absolutely LOVE this dish! My 2 and 4 year old also gobble this up if I buy pasta similar in shape to the chickpeas. They can't tell the difference and devour this. This is a super easy and quick weeknight meal. I make this one often when my husband is out of town since it's a healthy, fast meal to feed the kids and I. This goes great with fresh Italian or garlic bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (I used roasted garlic flavor)
- 1 (6 ounce) can water (fill tomato paste can)
- 1 lb pasta (I use trio italiano)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 1Add olive oil to a small sauce pan over medium high heat.
- 2Add garlic and crushed red peppers and cook until slightly golden and fragrant.
- 3Add tomato paste and water.
- 4Simmer, uncovered, for 1/2 hour. Add more water, if necessary.
- 5Stir frequently to be sure it doesn't burn.
- 6Cook pasta according to directions, drain but RESERVE ONE CUP OF COOKED PASTA WATER).
- 7Add the sauce and drained chickpeas to the pasta and add the reserved cooking water slowly until you reach your desired consistency.
- 8Serve with fresh grated parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chickpea Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 605.1
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 667.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 21.3 g