Recipe by Sarah_Jayne
Barley has to be my best food discovery of last year. It is really cheap and a little bit goes a long way in a dish because it really bulks out during cooking. Not to mention how healthy it is for you. This is my latest barley creation. You could have it as a side dish but I just split it between myself and my finance and it made a very filling meal for two.
Top Review by Grandma Winnie
Wow. That was delicious. My daughter and I really enjoyed it. She said the next time that you make it, double the recipe or even triple it. I followed the recipe, except that I didn't have any vegetable broth, but I had home made turkey broth in my freezer, and I used that. I also added a tsp. Of minced garlic. Thanks for a keeper.
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 onion, quartered and then sliced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Put pearl barley in an oven proof casserole dish.
- Saute the onions, carrots and celery in a little bit of oil (or use a cooking spray, I do) until the onions are tender.
- Add to the casserole dish and give it a stir to mix in with the pearl barley.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and give another stir.
- Cover and bake in the oven for about an hour. Keep checking every 25 minutes or so just to make sure it isn't going dry. It is ready when the barley has bulked up and gone tender from absorbing the liquid.