Recipe by cookiedog
You can use a previously roasted chicken for this healthy salad. I reduced the amount of salt from original recipe. It is best after sitting in the fridge for 24 hours. Edit: If you use regular table Iodized salt instead of the kosher salt, please use much less as table salt creates a saltier final product.
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water (or chicken broth)
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- 2 chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup minced scallion, white and green parts (1 bunch)
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and medium-diced
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a heat-proof bowl, pour the boiling water over the bulgur wheat. Add the lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1 teaspoons of salt. Stir. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the bulgur to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Place the chicken breast on a baking sheet and rub it with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the chicken meat from the bones and discard the skin. Cut the chicken into medium dice and add to the tabbouleh. Add the scallions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Season, to taste, and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. The flavors will improve as it sits.