1/2 Photos of Chicken With Saffron Jeweled Rice
POSTED FOR CRAZE-E CONTEST, 2010. In Persian culture of both Iran and Afghanistan Nowruz (New Light, Persian New Year) is celebrated with friends and family. Food gifts such as Chicken with Saffron Jeweled Rice would be an excellent addition to the table spread of food. This is an adaption for the American kitchen of the traditional recipe, Morasa Polo.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cooking onion, thinly sliced
- 4 chicken drumsticks, with thighs (attached or not, depending on size for serving purposes)
- 1/8 cup dried cranberries
- 1/8 cup dates, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons icing sugar
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed, soaked for at least 10 minutes & drained
- water, as needed
- 1 medium carrot, grated coarsely
- 1/4-1/2 orange, zest of (depending on size and preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked
- sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (toasted in a dry pan or fried in extra butter)
- 1/8 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rose water (optional)
- lime wedge, to garnish
- 1Heat half the butter in a large frying pan.
- 2Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, Remove to plate.
- 3Heat remaining butter in the pan and add the chicken.
- 4Cook, turning occasionally, until brown all over and half cooked or more. Remove to plate.
- 5Add the dried cranberries & chopped dates to the pan and sprinkle with the icing sugar.
- 6Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- 7Return onion and browned chicken to the pan.
- 8Add drained rice, water as needed, I'd use just under 2 cups, use the amount you would usually to cook rice. Add the orange zest, coarsely grated carrot, saffron, cumin, cinnamon, cracked cardamom pods, sea salt, to taste and stir to combine.
- 9Increase heat to high to bring to the boil.
- 10Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- 11Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for 5 minutes to rest.
- 12Use a fork to fluff the rice.
- 13Add half of the toasted almonds and pistachios and stir through the rice.
- 14Transfer to a serving platter.
- 15Sprinkle with remaining pistachios, almonds, and rose water if using.
- 16Arrange lime wedges around dish.
- 17Serve immediately.
- 18Avoid actually eating the cardamom pods.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With Saffron Jeweled Rice
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.2
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 89.6 mg
- Sodium 177.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 20.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: