Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Taken from The Everyday Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook "Don't let the amount of garlic scar you! This is a classic French dish that's nicely suited to slow cooking. The garlic softens and develops a milder, sweet flavor during cooking. We used a large chicken specifically to get leftovers for other recips. However, you can easily adapt this recipe for a smaller bird (3-4 pounds) by halving the ingredient amounts and using a 4-quart slow cooker."
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 -7 lbs roasting chickens, rinsed, with giblets and neck removed
- 40 whole peeled garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- Add the first four ingredients to the slow cooker crock and stir to combine. Place the chicken in the crock and roll it around and flip it over to coat with the oil mixture. Place 1/2 of the garlic (20 cloves) inside the cavity of the bird. Make sure bird is placed breast-side down in the slow cooker crock.
- Sprinkle remaining garlic around the chicken. Pour the wine down the side of the crock and into the bottom (not over the chicken itself).
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Check chicken for doneness using an instant-read thermometer (it should register 170). If it's done, let the bird rest, covered, in the slow cooker crock for 15 minutes. If the chicken has not reached 170, cook another hour, then recheck the temperature.
Good Recipe for lunches throughout the week. I just ate the chicken cold with a veggie...or on top of a salad. There are some good fat-free Caesar dressings that would go well with this to make a chicken Caesar salad. One thing I was disappointed with was that this recipe didn't make much of a sauce...i tried to poor the juices on top of rice and it just didn't cut it. Will probably make again, though...good way to have a week's worth of cold chicken with a really nice flavor.
This turned out wonderfully. The chicken was falling off the bones when I took it out of the slowcooker and it had a lovely taste.