Recipe by Lainey39
This recipe, published in Fitness magazine, is from Rocco Dispirito, a chef and cookbook author and a Fitness magazine advisory board member. He has a cooking show, Rocco Gets Real, which will air on A&E in October 2008. He states that to make soups and stews low-fat, skip the sauteing step. Instead, bring all the ingredients to a simmer together - and serve.
Top Review by Deb from Ca
Love this recipe! I add 4 cans of broth and a 24 oz jar of pasta sauce and sometimes another can of beans. Tonight I threw in a few carrots, but it is wonderful just as written. Can't wait for dinner! Thanks so much for the simple delicious soup recipe!
- 3 (1190.67 g) can low sodium chicken broth
- 354.88 ml tomato and basil pasta sauce, plus
- 44.37 ml tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 425.24 g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3.69 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced thin
- 170.09 g Baby Spinach, prewashed
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh basil
- 177.44 ml parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In Dutch oven, bring chicken broth, pasta sauce, cannellini beans and crushed red pepper to a simmer.
- Turn heat to low.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper; add to broth.
- Gently poach chicken, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes (the broth should barely simmer).
- Stir in baby spinach.
- Continue cooking soup until spinach is wilted and chicken is just cooked through, about 2 minutes more.
- Stir in basil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese.