Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe, published in Fitness magazine, is from Rocco Dispirito, a chef and cookbook author and a Fitness magazine advisory board member. He has a cooking show, Rocco Gets Real, which will air on A&E in October 2008. He states that to make soups and stews low-fat, skip the sauteing step. Instead, bring all the ingredients to a simmer together - and serve.
- 3 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato and basil pasta sauce, plus
- 3 tablespoons tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced thin
- 6 ounces Baby Spinach, prewashed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- In Dutch oven, bring chicken broth, pasta sauce, cannellini beans and crushed red pepper to a simmer.
- Turn heat to low.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper; add to broth.
- Gently poach chicken, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes (the broth should barely simmer).
- Stir in baby spinach.
- Continue cooking soup until spinach is wilted and chicken is just cooked through, about 2 minutes more.
- Stir in basil; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese.
Love this recipe! I add 4 cans of broth and a 24 oz jar of pasta sauce and sometimes another can of beans. Tonight I threw in a few carrots, but it is wonderful just as written. Can't wait for dinner! Thanks so much for the simple delicious soup recipe!
We loved this easy to make soup Lainey. It was delicious and very flavorful as well as good for you. I loved that you make this dish with ingredients found in most cupboards. My dh & I love beans so next time will add an additional can. (personal preference only) Thank you so much for sharing a soup recipe that i will make again. :)
This was quick and easy for tonight's dinner. I broiled a chicken earlier this week so I used that for the meat. I also had made marinara sauce for my lasagne on Sunday night as well so I used that for the basil pasta sauce. This is the perfect clean out the fridge type of recipe for me. My family all enjoyed it and let me know that they thought it was flavorful and worthy of a repeat.