Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I really love the filling for this manicotti recipe. Packed with veggies and flavor, Yum! This recipe is great to use up leftover chicken. From 1001 Low-Fat Recipes.
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup choped zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped summer squash
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package manicotti, cooked
For Spinach Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 lb fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 4 dashes red pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- For Spinach Sauce:.
- Saute garlic in margarine in large sauce pan 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook over med heat 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in milk; heat to boiling. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir spinach and remaining ingredients into sauce. Cook, uncovered, over med heat until spinach is cooked, 5 to 7 minutes.
- For Manicotti:.
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over med heat until hot. Saute onion and garlic until tender, about 3 minutes. Add remaining vetetables; saute until tender, 5 to 8 minutets. Stir in herbs and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in chicken, cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons chicken-veggie mix into each manicotti; arrange in baking pan. Spoon Spinach Sauce over manicotti. Bake at 350 degrees, loosely covered with aluminum foil, until manicotti are hot through and sauce is bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes.
Really yummy recipe! I changed it a bit. I kept it strictly vegetarian and didn't use chicken. Instead I used 15oz fat free ricotta instead of the 1/2 cup. I also used frozen chopped spinach. I used a 10 oz. package in the filling and a 10 oz. package in the sauce and it was perfect. My entire family...including kiddos....flipped for it. Thanks for a great recipe!
Delicious! A dream recipe for spinach lovers! Don't be daunted by the seemingly long list of ingredients! This is really quite quick to make and very adaptable: you can vary vegetables according to what's on hand or to meet taste preferences. For the manicotti, my only changes (since I didn't have any summer squash) were to increase the onion, zucchini and spinach and to add 2 leeks - just love the garlic, onion, leek blend of flavours. For the spinach sauce, I used unsalted butter rather than margarine and omitted the red pepper sauce (zero tolerance of anything hot and spicy!) and added some cumin to the nutmeg. Because all my ingredients erred on the side of generosity, with only two of us eating this, I ended up with several portions for the freezer. Always very satisfying when you've enjoyed a dish as much as we enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing this recipe! Made for PRMR.