Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another recipe pulled from an old issue of Quick Cooking. This creamy, slightly spicy soup is unique because it uses flour tortillas cut into strips as noodles.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1 (11 ounce) can mexicorn
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 3 flour tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine broth, soups and milk.
- Add the chicken, corn, mushrooms, chilies and onions and mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the tortilla strips.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
I've been making this soup since 2001 (Inauguration Day to be exact -- I needed some comfort food. ;) I took it to my SIL's house for a soup supper once, and everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. It's sooooo easy to throw together, even after work if you have the chicken cooked and shredded ahead of time. I usually have all the ingredients on hand, except maybe the green onions. I always double the recipe, because one batch is just not enough for us. I'm making it today for Blizzard 2009, and came here to post the recipe. We love, love, love this soup!
I used cream of chicken and cream of mushroom- I even added an extra can to make it go further. I used canned chicken and regular corn, plus a can of creamed corn. I omitted the sliced mushrooms, green onions, flour tortillas & cheese (as I didn't have any) It was SO easy and fast and I think a foolproof recipe! Lots of ways to throw it together!
I was going to post this and saw it here. This soup is so easy and surprisingly tasty! I omitted the mushrooms we don't care for them. I followed the rest of the recipe exactly and this is a real comfort food! Thanks for posting Laura70!