Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe courtesy Mike Romanelli
- 4 ounces cream cheese (or other cheese if desired)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 (8 ounce) chicken breasts
- 4 ounces butter, melted
- 4 ounces bearnaise sauce
- flour, for dusting
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Japanese-style bread crumbs, for breading (Panko)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together the filling ingredients and set aside.
- Remove the excess fat and rib meat on chicken breast.
- Lightly and evenly pound chicken breast to 3/8-inch thickness.
- Lay the breast flat on the table (shiny side down), and place filling on 1/2 of the breast.
- Fold the chicken in 1/2 and tuck in corners.
- In a bowl, beat together the egg and milk to make an egg wash.
- Lightly dust the chicken in flour and shake off excess flour.
- Dip chicken in egg mix, shaking off excess.
- Coat the chicken in Japanese bread crumbs.
- Place on a baking pan and lightly drizzle with butter.
- Bake until golden brown and the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 170 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and place on serving dish.
- Top with bearnaise sauce.