While searching my "archives" (read - box in the back of the pantry) for Zaar World Tour II recipes, I ran across this gem that was torn out of BHG, Sepember 2004 edition. Sounds Italian to me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces pancetta or 4 slices bacon, chopped
- olive oil
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with onion and garlic
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup kalamata olive
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn
- 1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
- 3 ounces garlic and herb goat cheese (about 1/3 cup)
- 1In a 5 to 6 quart Dutch oven, cook pancetta until browned. Remove pancetta, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings (add olive oil if necessary to equal 2 tablespoons.) Drain meat on paper towels & set aside.
- 2Brown chicken in drippings about 10 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Drain off fat.
- 3Add undrained tomatoes, orzo, garlic & 1 cup water. Bring to a boil & reduce heat.
- 4Simmer, covered, 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is done (180ºF on meat thermometer) & orzo is tender.
- 5If necessary, cook an additional 2-3 minutes uncovered to thicken the pan sauce.
- 6Stir in pancetta, olives and basil & heat through.
- 7To serve, divide spinach among 6 plates. Top each with a thigh, some of the orzo mixture & some of the cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Thighs and Orzo
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.0
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 57.2 mg
- Sodium 149.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 18.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomatoes with onion and garlic
garlic and herb goat cheese