Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Moroccan cuisine is superb. This is a wonderful dish that is sure to convert you if you've never tried it.
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 2 (2721.55 g) chicken, each cut into 6 pieces
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground pepper
- 2 small onions, finely grated
- 9.85 ml minced fresh ginger or 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 3 inch cinnamon sticks or 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml saffron thread, crumbled
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and coarsely chopped or 354.88 ml drained, canned tomatoes
- 6 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 preserved lemons
- 226.79 g kalamata olive
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add them to the pan along with the onions, ginger, cinnamon and saffron.
- Cook over high heat, turning the chicken occasionally, until browned all over, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, parsley, cilantro and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is tender, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, rinse the preserved lemons under running water; pat dry.
- Cut the lemons into quarters.
- Discard the pulp from one of the lemons and finely chop the peel.
- Reserve the quarters for garnish.
- Transfer the chicken to a large plate.
- Strain the cooking liquid and return it to the casserole.
- Boil over high heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped preserved lemons and the olives and simmer over moderate heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and simmer until heated through.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on a serving dish.
- Pour the sauce on top and garnish with the lemon quarters.
This is delicious! Made as directed using Moroccan Spiced Preserved Lemons for the preserved lemons. Thanks, evelyn/athens! Made for ZWT9, team Gourmet Goddesses.
Amazing flavor! Absolutely worth the time and preparation. Some points are a little unclear though. I chose to use thigh fillets and served it on a bed of Cous Cous. Fantastic!!
This tajine is delicious. I followed the recipe exactly except that I did not include the preserved lemons ( as I didn't have any) instead I just used some fresh lemon zest. A really great way to serve chicken. Thank you for posting.