Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one of our favorties and is a great crowd pleaser!
Make and share this Chicken Souiza Cornbread Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 2 1⁄3 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons canned green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Melt margarine in a small skillet over med-high heat. Saute onion and garlic until tender, 4 to 6 minutes; set aside. In a large bowl, combine corn, cream style corn, salt and eggs. Beat in muffin mix. Fold in cooked onion mixture. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, green chiles, sour cream, salt and pepper. Spoon over corn mixture to within 1 inch from edge. Sprinkle top with cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
Unfortunately, this was a flop at my house. It was pretty bland and tasteless, and I was the only one who ended up finishing my plate. To be fair, I've never made a chicken souiza bake before, though, so maybe that is what they all taste like?
This was pretty good, but I would like it to be spicier. I added the whole can of green chiles instead of 2 tbsp, but I think I might try it with rotel in lieu of some or all of the creamed corn. But then I am a Texan and a spicy food addict. LOL! If you like the sweetness of the creamed corn and cornbread, you will probably LOVE this.
Edited to add: I took this to a party at work today and it was a pretty big hit. Like I said, if you like the sweetness of it, you'll love it! :-) I put picante sauce on mine. ;-)
We have made this twice already - once to ourselves [to try it out] and the second to serve to guests. Amazing! And the hubby loves it too. This is excellent and such a keeper! Thanks so much for the recipe.