Recipe by gmcgough600
A combination of two recipes that I found online: A Balinese recipe for satay sauce modified to use ingredients readily available in the West and another for the chicken skewers. Tried and tested :)
for the chicken
- 100 ml skim natural yoghurt
- 1 lime, juice only
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 1⁄2 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 400 g chicken breasts, cut into cubes
for the lemon butter
- 100 g butter
- 1 lemon, juice only
for the satay sauce
- 1⁄2 cup natural-style chunky peanut butter
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped roughly
- 2 red chilies, chopped roughly and deseeded
- 2 1⁄2 cm fresh ginger, peeled & chopped roughly
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 teaspoon lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak some wooden skewers in a bowl of cold water for ten minutes.
- For the chicken, combine all the ingredients, except for the chicken, in a large bowl and mix together well. Add the chicken and coat well with the mixture. Thread several pieces onto each wooden skewer and place aside on a platter. Cover with cling film and chill for at least two hours.
- For the satay sauce: Puree peanut butter, chillies, garlic, ginger and brown sugar in a food processor and transfer to a small saucepan. Add coconut milk, soy sauce and molasses and stir well.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, and then simmer until sauce has thickened and the flavors have merged, about 30 minutes. Stir often. Cool to room temperature and add more soy sauce or lemon juice as needed.
- Meanwhile, prepare the lemon butter for basting the chicken. Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat and add the lemon juice, stirring well. Keep warm.
- Place the chicken skewers under a hot grill for 8-10 minutes, or until completely cooked through, basting with the lemon butter from time to time. Turn the skewers when the chicken becomes golden-brown.
- Divide the skewers between serving plates and drizzle over the satay sauce, or serve the sauce in a dipping bowl on the side.