Recipe by Mr Jackson
From Cooking Light....This is one of the most popular dishes in Cambodia. It's a soupy curry that's more aromatic and less spicy than curries found in other parts of Southeast Asia. It uses a substantial amount of fresh ginger and lemongrass for flavor and fragrance. Serve over rice to soak up the sauce.
Top Review by psycedmom
Great dish! I used 1.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and dumped in about 1/2 cup of uncooked long grain rice when with 30 min of cooking time left. When it was done, I shredded up the chicken and added the lime juice . . . YUMMY! Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄2 cup fresh ginger, thinly sliced peeled
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemongrass, chopped peeled
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons shrimp sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee) or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons shrimp paste
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
- cooking spray
- 6 (4 ounce) skinless chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 6 (4 ounce) skinless chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- lime wedge (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place first 10 ingredients in a food processor; process until minced, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ginger mixture; sauté 2 minutes. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes on each side. Add broth, coconut milk, and sugar, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove pan from heat. Remove chicken from pan, reserving liquid in pan; cool chicken slightly. Remove the meat from bones, and discard bones. Place pan over medium heat. Stir in chicken and lime juice; cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
- Cooking Light does not give prep or cook time. The times listed is my guess.