The zip and zing of a roasted peppercorn and parmesan dressing brings Merrilees Parker’s humble chicken salad to life. From Market Kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 12 mini chicken fillets
- 2 heads baby leaf lettuce, roughly torn
For the dressing
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 3 -4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the rustic croutons
- 1For the chicken: heat a large non-stick frying pan with the light olive oil. Fry the prosciutto slices for 3-4 minutes, or until crisp and golden-brown. Remove and drain on kitchen paper, reserving the oil in the pan.
- 2Season the chicken fillets with salt and drizzle over some olive oil. Return the pan used to cook the prosciutto to the heat and fry the chicken fillets for 2-3 minutes on both sides, or until cooked through. Set aside.
- 3For the dressing: toast the peppercorns in a dry hot frying pan for about a minute until they become aromatic, shaking the pan frequently to prevent the peppercorns from burning.
- 4Roughly crush the peppercorns using a pestle and mortar, then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- 5Add the parmesan, grated garlic and lemon zest to the bowl with the peppercorns, then squeeze in the lemon juice and add the oil. Whisk until well combined, then season to taste with a pinch of sea salt.
- 6For the rustic croutons: heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the herbs and garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, or until aromatic, then add the stale bread cubes and a good pinch of sea salt. Toss well and fry for 1-2 minutes, or until crisp and golden-brown all over. Drain well on kitchen paper.
- 7To serve, place the lettuce leaves into a large mixing bowl. Pour over the roasted peppercorn dressing and toss until all the leaves are well coated. Add the rustic croutons and mix again. Divide among four serving plates, then top each serving with three mini chicken fillets and finish with a couple of slices of crisp prosciutto.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Salad With Roasted Peppercorn Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.6
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 3.3 mg
- Sodium 66.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
baby leaf lettuce