Recipe by Phat & Sassy
I often roast whole chickens or turkey breasts to use for our lunches (less expensive and healthier than deli meats) and am always on the lookout for new recipes for different sandwiches, wraps and salads. My husband and I tried this today for lunch and we both really liked it. The yogurt dressing was a nice change from the usual mayo-based dressing and will be great for those warm summer days. My husband and I love curry, so I used 1 1/2 teaspoons curry when I made this and may use 2 teaspoons next time. I used cashews, but think the pistachios will be good too. I think adding some diced Granny Smith apple or swapping dried cranberries for the raisins would be other good variations. This Indian-inspired recipe is adopted from a cookbook from Lorna Sass.
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios or 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted cashews
- 1 cup whole milk or 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons sweet mango chutney (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (more to taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss the chicken and other salad ingredients in a large bowl or storage container. Blend the ingredients for the dressing. Pour dressing onto the chicken mixture and toss gently to coat. Adjust seasonings before serving.
- Salad may be served immediately. I like to refrigerate for several hours first before serving to allow the flavors to come out.
- Prep and cooking time doesn't include cooking time for the chicken and are estimations.