Recipe by Trisha W
Joining Recipezaar has caused me to start going back through old recipes and discovering old favorites that have "gotten lost" through the years. This is an old one that I got from a friend after eating it at her house and enjoying it. Italian food is always enjoyed at my house.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
I was looking for a crockpot recipe and this was in a crockpot cookbook and didn't realize it was stove top till I printed it. No matter, it was very easy to do. I used more garlic and no cloves. Although onions weren't in the directions, I added a spring onion. This smelled so good cooking and we served it with brown rice. Everyone liked it. Glad I stumbled upon it! I will save the leftover sauce for another dish.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, plus
- 1 (6 ounce) can water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, plus
- 1 (8 ounce) can water
- 1 (1 lb) can whole tomato, plus
- 1 (1 lb) can water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil, brown chicken on each side for about 5 minutes, remove from pan and set aside.
- In a large pot break up the whole tomatoes, add the onions, tomato sauces, water and mushrooms; bring to a boil, turn down heat and add chicken and spices.
- Cook uncovered for about 2 hours or until chicken is done and sauce thickens.
- CROCKPOT- If you prefer, brown the chicken and put everything together into a crockpot to cook, but allow more time for cooking.
- This is good served with noodles- rigatoni or otherwise.