Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This dish is cooked in a traditional Chinese earthenware pot but you can use any heavy based pan. With the earthenware pot, it is brought to the table and served. You could serve a Chinese green vegetable and have a complete meal for 4
- 500 g chicken thighs
- 2 Chinese sausage, lap cheong
- 4 shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 cm gingerroot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, white
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 450 g rice
- Slice the chicken into bite size pieces and cut the sausagesin into wafer thin slices. Slice the mushrooms thinly. (if can't find fresh shitake mushrooms use dried ones and soak for 30 min hot water).
- Slice the shallot, heat oil into pan and saute the onion until brown. Discard the shallot and let the oil cool.
- Add 2 tbsp of water to the grated ginger and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Put this ginger water into a bowl and discard the grated ginger. Add the chicken, sausage, mushrooms, sesame oil and cooled oil, soy sauce, pepper and salt and Chinese 4 spice and marinate for abut 30 minutes.
- Place rice into the earthenware pot and cover with water to come 2cm above the level of the rice. Put onto a medium heat and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat to very low and add the chicken mixture. DO NOT STIR, but let the chicken mixture sit on top of the rice.
- Cover and cook for about 30min until rice is cooked.
- Serve with a Chinese broccoli.