This dish is cooked in a traditional Chinese earthenware pot but you can use any heavy based pan. With the earthenware pot, it is brought to the table and served. You could serve a Chinese green vegetable and have a complete meal for 4
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice the chicken into bite size pieces and cut the sausagesin into wafer thin slices. Slice the mushrooms thinly. (if can't find fresh shitake mushrooms use dried ones and soak for 30 min hot water).
- 2Slice the shallot, heat oil into pan and saute the onion until brown. Discard the shallot and let the oil cool.
- 3Add 2 tbsp of water to the grated ginger and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Put this ginger water into a bowl and discard the grated ginger. Add the chicken, sausage, mushrooms, sesame oil and cooled oil, soy sauce, pepper and salt and Chinese 4 spice and marinate for abut 30 minutes.
- 4Place rice into the earthenware pot and cover with water to come 2cm above the level of the rice. Put onto a medium heat and bring to the boil.
- 5Turn the heat to very low and add the chicken mixture. DO NOT STIR, but let the chicken mixture sit on top of the rice.
- 6Cover and cook for about 30min until rice is cooked.
- 7Serve with a Chinese broccoli.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken & Rice Hot Pot - Sha Bao Fan
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1159.8
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 105.0 mg
- Sodium 602.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 176.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 37.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder