Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A good mexican casserole that is also decently healthy! To make it truly guilt free, grill/boil the chicken instead of sauteing, substitute light cheese (or use less), and use corn or whole wheat tortillas. The difference is truly subtle, and can have a major impact on calories!
- 1 -2 lb chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, Shredded
- 3 -5 flour tortillas, Burrito-sized
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut chicken into small diced pieces, and saute in large skillet with Olive Oil and onions over medium-high heat until cooked throughout.
- Add Rotel, beans, tomato sauce, corn, and spices to chicken. Cook for 5 minutes until fully heated. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- In a 9"x13" greased casserole dish, put just enough of the mixture to cover the bottom of the dish. Layer tortillas, half of the remaining mixture, half of the cheese, tortillas, and the remainder of the mixture. Cover with the remainder of the cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and then allow casserole to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Made this tonight and loved it! Didn't have the cumin or oregano, but added a clove of diced garlic. My wife and I loved it! Easy to prepare.