This fast and easy dish is a wonderful way to keep your kitchen cool in the hot months while serving up a delicious meal! Adapted from Pampered Chef.
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups grape tomatoes (can probably even use a drained can of tomatoes) or 2 cups cherry tomatoes (can probably even use a drained can of tomatoes)
- 3 cups penne pasta (I use mezze which is the small penne )
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine (I use Pinot Grigio)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh basil leaves, lightly packed, divided
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup packed)
- 2 cups grilled chicken breasts, diced (if you dont have leftovers just cook up a breast or two using any quick method, I cut up and mw for )
- additional grated fresh parmesan cheese (optional)
- Spray a mw safe lidded casserole. Add garlic and tomatoes. Cover; microwave on HIGH 4-5 minutes or until tomatoes begin to burst, stirring after 2 minutes. Crush tomatoes with fork and add uncooked pasta, broth, wine, salt and black pepper.
- Return baker to microwave; cover and microwave on HIGH 16-18 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring after 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grate cheese and coarsely chop basil, reserve about 1/4th for later.
- Carefully remove baker from microwave and remove lid, lifting away from you. Add remaining basil, cheese and chicken to baker; mix well.
- Garnish with reserved basil, additional Parmesan cheese and black pepper, if desired.
- Tips: An additional 3/4 cup chicken broth can be substituted for the wine, if desired.
- Any tube-shaped pasta requiring 9-11 minutes cook time, such as penne or rigatoni, can be substituted for the mezze penne pasta.
- To grill chicken in the Grill Pan, season 2 chicken breasts, about 6 oz each, with salt and black pepper. Heat Grill Pan over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Spray pan with oil. Cook chicken 4-6 minutes or until grill marks appear. Turn chicken over; cook 4-6 minutes or until center of chicken is no longer pink and Pocket Thermometer registers 170°F.