Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
different chicken pasta bake.
- 300 g penne pasta
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 300 ml light thickened cream
- 310 g corn kernels, drained
- 2⁄3 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue cooked chicken, meat removed and roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup tasty low-fat cheese
- Cook the penne in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to packet instructions or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened (do not allow to brown). Add the cream, bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Stir through the corn, peas, parmesan and chicken. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, then add the penne. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Preheat an oven grill on medium heat. Transfer the chicken mixture into a 4-cup capacity baking dish. Scatter with the cheese and place under preheated grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden on top. To serve, sprinkle with chopped flat-leaf parsley, if desired.
Unfortunately, my family wasn't crazy about this dish. We used gouda as the cheese topper. Overall, this dish was just kind-of bland. We might make it again, but add some spices to give it more flavor. And we would probably add more chicken, as we could hardly taste it.
*Reviewed for March Recipe Swap in the Aus/NZ Forum* Super easy and an economical family dinner. I used gluten-free penne pasta to make this meal suitable for my gf diet. I thought 1/2 cup chicken wasn't enough to make this a family dinner -so used two chicken breast instead and added a little extra cream to compensate. I think I would like some fresh herbs and cracked black pepper through the pasta and next time will bake in the oven to heat through a little more while the cheese is melting and browning. I think this would be an easy dish to make ahead of time, refrigerate and then heat in the oven when its dinner time. Served with some steamed brocolli on the side. Photo also to be posted . Thanks for another easy and tasty recipe Sonya