Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This Mughal dish has a delicate flavour and a smooth sauce. Coconut milk gives the milder flavour while the yogurt gives the creaminess. This a classic dish.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 1⁄4 pint thick plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 4 dried red chilies
- 2 ounces ghee or 2 ounces butter
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 12 ounces water
- 4 ounces creamed coconut
- 3 ounces cashew nuts
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Cut each chicken joint in two.
- Mix together the yogurt and turmeric till smooth. Mix the chicken with the yogurt and leave to stand overnight.
- In a blender process the garlic, ginger and red chillies with 2 tbsp water till smooth.
- Melt the ghee(or butter) ina pan over medium heat and fry the onions till golden. Remove onions from pan,pressing them against the side of the pan to save as much ghee as possible.
- Fry the caraway seeds and garam masala for 30 seconds and add all of the garlic/ginger mix, stir.
- Add the chicken and the yogurt it was marinaded in, with the onions and the salt and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add 9 fluid oz of the water and creamed coconut, bring to the boil, reduce the heat cover the pan and simmer 40 minutes.
- In the blender put the remaining water and the cashew nut and blend till smooth. Add this to the pot and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with the paprika and garnished with the eggs.