Recipe by highcotton
Back in the day, when life revolved around the kids' practices and games and other after-school activities, dinner usually had to be on the table in 30 minutes max. This recipe from Southern Living was one of our 'quick-and-easy' favorites. Prepare a package of long-grain and wild rice, throw some green beans in a saucepan to heat, chop up a few pieces of fruit (or open a can), and you'll have a very acceptable dinner in spite of your crazy schedule! :) Also, whether you're cooking for 1 or 4 or 10, this one is easily adaptable.
Top Review by iris5555
I agree that the flavor was a bit plain and should have added garlic. I added hot cherry peppers, but I think garlic would have been better. This was a very quick and easy meal.
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) package boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) carton fresh mushrooms
- 3 -4 green onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Rinse chicken pieces with cold water and pat dry.
- When butter has melted and begun to sizzle slightly, add chicken to skillet.
- Cook chicken approximately 10 minutes, until nicely-browned.
- Meanwhile, rinse and trim onions; slice thinly, including some green "tops".
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems; slice caps.
- When chicken is browned on the outside and appears to be cooked approximately halfway through, turn the pieces over and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms and onions to skillet, along with additional butter if necessary.
- (Note: The original recipe did not call for extra, but I sometimes have to add a tablespoon or two so that the veggies will sauté properly instead of sticking). Cook approximately 10 additional minutes, until chicken is thoroughly done.
- Place a slice of cheese on each piece of chicken.
- Remove to a platter and cover with foil.
- Allow chicken to sit about 5 minutes until cheese melts.
- Spoon mushroom mixture over chicken before serving.