Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Marinated & grilled chicken topped with a refreshing tropical salsa developed for RSC#8. Cook time does not include marinating time. Papaya contains papain which helps digestion and is used to tenderize meat.
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mango, peeled & pitted
- 1⁄2 cup fresh papaya, peeled & seeded
- 1 cup diced mango
- 1 cup diced papaya
- 1 tablespoon ginger puree
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flakes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh scallions (white and green parts)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 jalapeno, minced, seeded if desired
- In a food processor, puree ginger. Reserve 2TB for salsa. Add remaining marinade ingredients & puree. Put in a ziptop bag w/chicken & marinate in the refrigerator 2 hours or so.
- Combine all salsa ingredients. Allow to sit at room temperature to allow flavors to blend.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Grill chicken. Slice on the bias. Serve over rice and top with the salsa.
Delicious! Once the chicken is in the marinade, it makes for an easy dinner. I threw the marinated chicken on the grill and made the salsa while waiting. The marinade flavor is excellent and we really liked the salsa. Thank you for posting! Made for the Soup-A-Stars during ZWT9
My family loved this chicken! I used 1/2 a jalapeno chopped fine in the salsa, and marinated the chicken breasts, (pounded to uniform size), for 5 hours. Next time, (and there will be many next times!) I'll probably marinate overnight. This marinade gave the chicken such a wonderful sweet sour kind of taste, and the meat was SO tender. The kind of mustard was not specified in the original recipe, whether it be prepared or dry, so I used honey mustard. Great recipe! Thanks for a keeper.
Super delicious fresh flavors, what a great summer dish! I used both chicken breasts and thighs - the marinade comes through more with the breasts but both were delicious. Made for ZWT 9 Family Picks by another one of Mike and the Appliance Killers