Chicken Marvalasala and Papardelle With Rosemary Gravy ( Rachael
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for the pasta. When it comes up to a boil, salt the water and drop the pasta. Cook to al dente.
- In the meantime, place the chicken cutlets between 2 pieces of plastic wrap (wax paper or parchment paper works too). With the bottom of a skillet, gently pound the cutlets until they are pretty thin and even in thickness (this will help speed up the cooking process).
- Remove the cutlets from the plastic wrap, season them with salt and pepper, and give them each a light dusting of flour on both sides. Heat a large non-stick skillet with 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium to medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and brown the cutlets lightly on both sides. Remove to a platter and cover with foil to hold in the heat. To the same skillet, add 2 tablespoons EVOO and 1 clove of garlic. Cook the garlic 1 minute or so, then remove and add the mushrooms. Let the mushrooms brown evenly, until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- While the mushrooms cook, start the gravy for the pasta. In a deep medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter with 1 tablespoon of EVOO, once around the pan. Add remaining clove of crushed garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook over medium-heat for 1-2 minutes, so it develops a rich tomato-y flavor.
- Add rosemary, cook for 1 minute, then add the flour and whisk it into the tomato-butter. Cook flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the stock and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer to thicken, about 5 minutes. Season gravy with salt and pepper to your taste and remove the garlic clove, so you don't get a big mouth full of it!
- To the cooked mushrooms, add capers, Marsala and let reduce for 1 minute or so. Add 2 tablespoons of butter in small bits to finish the sauce, shaking the pan to incorporate it. Slide the chicken back into the sauce and warm.
- Drain the pasta and toss it with the gravy and a handful of cheese. Serve the pasta alongside Chicken Marvalasala, and scatter arugula across both the chicken and pasta to garnish.