Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here is a kabob recipe for chicken that I modified to suit our taste. I like using metal skewers. Serve on a bed of rice that has been prepared with chicken broth.
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, grated zest of
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 zucchini, cut crosswise into slices
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 yellow onion, halved, separated into layers, and then cut into 1 1/2-inch squares
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- In a large zip lock bag, combine the lemon juice, wine, oil, garlic, oregano, lemon zest, and salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chicken, zucchini, bell pepper, and onion.
- Seal and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the charcoals in 1/2 of the grill so you have a source of direct and indirect-heat in a covered grill.
- When the fire is hot, thread the chicken, zucchini, bell pepper, and onion pieces onto them, alternating the pieces and dividing them equally onto 8 skewers.
- Place over charcoals and grill, turning the skewers once when the chicken is browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Move the skewers to the other side of the grill rack so they are not directly over the fire.
- Cover the grill, open the vents halfway, and cook, turning the skewers occasionally, until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes longer.
- Place skewers to a warmed platter or individual plates and serve with the lemon wedges.
I've made this twice. The smell of this is sooo good. The first time, I only had enough time to marinade for the 1 hour, the second time I marinaded longer, DO NOT marinade longer, the chicken was dry because the marinade opens up the pores and the juices run out. It was still very tasty though ;) Fantastic recipe as written! Thanks!
Perfect marinade. I added more garlic and garlic salt. Used green peppers, chicken and sweet vidalia onions on the grill. DELICIOUS. thanks! Will go in my grilling favorites.
This is such a simple, healthy recipe and it gets 5 *s from me because my picky teenager wolfed it down. I made it pretty much as written, cutting down on the oregano a bit as my plants haven't gotten robust yet. I'm glad I did because my Mediterranean oregano was really strong and 1 T. was enough for our taste. I served this with a mushroom rice pilaf. My family and I loved this recipe and I've been asked to make it again. Oh, and it was after-work friendly, which always makes any good-tasting recipe a winner for me! Thanks Charlotte for the wonderful recipe :)