Recipe by Member #610488
Speciality of the kitchen at the Javana Spa in Sukabumi, Indonesia.
Top Review by liliya_99
The marinade was very good and chicken was flavorful. However, the sauce did not work for me. The only ingridient I missed was ginger, but may be that was the difference. In the sauce recipe - step number 6 calls for cream to be added to the blender, but cream is not listed in the ingridients. I assumed it was soy milk that needed to be added? For those of you shopping for this recipe - it took 2 limes to make 1/2 cup of lime juice and 1 lemon for 1/4 of lemon juice.
- 6 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter, crunchy style
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried chili
- 2⁄3 cup peanut butter, crunchy style
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- grated lime zest, to taste (garnish)
- fresh fresh cilantro stem, to taste (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the marinade, combine the first 7 ingredients in a shallow dish.
- Thread the chicken strips onto bamboo skewers in a serpentine fashion.
- Place the skewers into the soy sauce mixture and let marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours, although overnight is preferable.
- Make the peanut sauce by combining the next 7 ingredients (peanut butter through garlic) in a saucepan. Mix thoroughly then add cayenne pepper.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is as thick as heavy cream (about 15 minutes).
- Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree briefly. Add chicken broth and soymilk and blend until smooth. This mixture can be made several hours ahead and stored in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Prepare moderate-hot charcoal coals or preheat a broiler.
- Cook the skewered chicken, turning several times and basting with the marinade, until crispy on the outside but still moist on the inside, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle grilled chicken with lime zest and garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve with the peanut sauce for dipping.