1 hr 30 mins
Great on a cold, winter's day! The File' really makes the dish, so try it out. I use the tiny Hillshire Farms mini smoked sausages. You can substitute the chicken bullion cubes for chicken broth or stock. Just add water to broth to make 1 quart. Be sure to cook all or most of the white bottom part of the green onions, reserving some of the green tops for garnish when serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 lbs chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 in rounds
- 1/2 cup bacon drippings (I use margarine)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart water
- 2 chicken flavored bullion cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1Melt margarine in large Dutch Oven or fairly deep pot over medium heat.
- 2Lightly brown the sausage.
- 3Reserving drippings, remove sausage from pot and drain well in a colander or on paper toweling.
- 4Add chopped onion, garlic, HALF of the sliced green onions and green pepper to pot.
- 5Saute until onions are translucent and tender.
- 6Remove all from pot and drain well.
- 7In a separate pot, make the roux by heating the oil over medium heat.
- 8Add flour, stirring constantly until it is the color of a copper penny, about 15 or 20 minutes.
- 9Gradually add the water to the roux, stirring until well blended.
- 10Stir in bullion cubes, salt and pepper.
- 11Add chicken, sausage, cooked onion and green pepper.
- 12Cover and simmer for about one hour, stirring occasionally.
- 13Remove chicken from pot and cut meat off bones, if desired.
- 14Return chicken pieces to pot and heat through.
- 15Serve over rice in bowls.
- 16Sprinkle some remaining green onions on top of each serving, along with a few shakes of the File' spice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Gumbo With Smoked Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 597.5
- Calories from Fat 441
- Total Fat 49.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 115.6 mg
- Sodium 1232.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 29.7 g