Recipe by BIG_CHIEF
Great on a cold, winter's day! The File' really makes the dish, so try it out. I use the tiny Hillshire Farms mini smoked sausages. You can substitute the chicken bullion cubes for chicken broth or stock. Just add water to broth to make 1 quart. Be sure to cook all or most of the white bottom part of the green onions, reserving some of the green tops for garnish when serving.
Top Review by Stacey in BG!!!
Wonderful stuff - the 30 min prep is fairly accurate, and I ended up inviting a friend over while it was simmering. Will make again and again and again - I did just mix the cooked rice right in at the end - bet it would be good if you added extra water and the (uncooked) rice right at simmer time! Made for Fall 2009 PAC!
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 in rounds
- 1⁄2 cup bacon drippings (I use margarine)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart water
- 2 chicken flavored bullion cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine in large Dutch Oven or fairly deep pot over medium heat.
- Lightly brown the sausage.
- Reserving drippings, remove sausage from pot and drain well in a colander or on paper toweling.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, HALF of the sliced green onions and green pepper to pot.
- Saute until onions are translucent and tender.
- Remove all from pot and drain well.
- In a separate pot, make the roux by heating the oil over medium heat.
- Add flour, stirring constantly until it is the color of a copper penny, about 15 or 20 minutes.
- Gradually add the water to the roux, stirring until well blended.
- Stir in bullion cubes, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken, sausage, cooked onion and green pepper.
- Cover and simmer for about one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken from pot and cut meat off bones, if desired.
- Return chicken pieces to pot and heat through.
- Serve over rice in bowls.
- Sprinkle some remaining green onions on top of each serving, along with a few shakes of the File' spice.