Recipe by Mark H.
This is a recipe for Chicken Fried Steak, one of the staple foods of Texas. Like with fried chicken, folks in each family or restaurant tend to have their own little "secrets" to preparing Chicken Fried Steak, so you can play with the recipe a bit. But if it don't include the cream gravy, it ain't been prepared right and it ain't a "secret" worth keeping.
FOR CHICKEN FRIED STEAK
- oil or shortening, for frying
- 6 -8 beef cutlets, tenderized (round or cube steak)
- 3 -4 cups seasoned flour (flour with savory seasonings of your choice or Seasoned Flour)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
FOR CREAM GRAVY
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon dripping, included the cooked bits
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat about 1/4-1/2 inch of oil or shortening in a frying pan.
- Beat eggs then combine with milk.
- Dredge tenderized beef cutlets in flour, then egg-milk wash, then a second time in flour.
- Place dredged cutlets into heated oil and fry until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Turn steak over and cook for another 5 minutes or so until both sides are golden.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and allow to drain.
- TIME TO MAKE THE GRAVY: Drain all but 1-2 tablespoons of drippings from the frying pan; leave all the cooked bits you can.
- Combine flour and seasonings with milk, then pour into the pan with drippings and bits.
- Continually stir/whisk the gravy over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until desired consistency.
- Taste and add more salt or pepper if necessary.
- Serve generously over each piece of chicken fried steak.
- Sop up any extra gravy with a biscuit.