Chicken Fried Bacon W/Cream Gravy
photo by Mark D.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb thick sliced bacon, cut in half
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk (or cream or half & half)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- spices (optional)
- oil (for frying)
- 3 tablespoons drippings or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (whipping)
- salt and pepper, heavy on the pepper
- Heat oil in a frying pan over med-high heat.
- Whisk egg and milk together in a bowl.
- Place flour in another bowl - season it if you'd like (garlic, pepper, salt, lemon, cajun, etc.).
- Double dip - first in the egg mixture, then into the flour and repeat.
- Fry in oil until golden brown.
- Serve with cream gravy for dipping; also good served with steak.
To make cream gravy:
- Put drippings or butter in a sauce pan over med-high heat. Whisk in the flour until well blended; cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbly. Remove from heat and gradually add milk whisking constantly; return to heat & whisk until the gravy thickens; Whisk in the cream, salt & pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
there is nothing more beautiful than bacon (fat) wrapped in carbohydrates and cooked in fat in the world of food. Some will say "that will clog your arteries". I say that this elegant dish is not only an inspiration to mankind but the epitome and symbol of manliness and awesomeness. Eat it.<br/><br/>Seriously though, this is the best (and best tasting) idea that ever saw light. Bravo, says I, for being awesome.
I've been eating this for 40 years now and there is no need for egg wash. Simply allow the bacon to sit in some warm water to soften up. Toss it in some seasoned flour. Fry it in a bit of...what else bacon grease. It takes a bit longer for the fat in the bacon to render, but when properly cooked it is ultra crisp and not a bit greasy. Momma says every time a piece of chicken friend bacon is eaten a food nutritionist passes away.
Made this recipe after seeing that it won the Texas State Fair in October 2008. I have now, by request, made it two more times. A little goes a long way but it is so decadent that everyone wants more.... Takes about an hour for two pounds cut in half, five pieces at a time. One of the new favorite foods of the Buben Verin along with bacon wrapped chicken livers - yum.