Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipe from Everyday Gourmet T.V. A lovely way to serve sandwiches and a great way to use up leftover chicken, or great to take as lunch as a normal sandwhich.
- 6 slices bread
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 chicken breast, poached and finely chopped
- zest of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons whole egg mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- Place chopped chicken breast, pinenuts, celery, lemon zest, chives, mayonnaise, salt and pepper into a large bowl and combine all ingredients.
- To assemble sandwiches: Spread the chicken mixture on one side of bread and place another piece of bread on top. Continue with the other slices of bread.
- Remove crust and cut the sandwiches in half to create soldiers.
Tisme, I made this for lunch today... what a wonderful chicken salad! I love the addition of the fresh lemon zest. Only had one Meyer lemon so there wasn't much peel, I added just a tiny bit of the fresh lemon juice to the chicken because I was a tad short on the peel. My one daughter came to the table for lunch and tried a single one of the finger sandwiches...she said "These are really good. Before I came to the table, I told myself that I was going to be kind and not say anything bad about lunch...it's a good thing I didn't, because I would have had to eat my words too!". She is not a big fan of chicken or any bread other then homemade, so for her to enjoy this sandwich says a lot. Made and Reviewed for April 2012 AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
I used some left over roasted chicken and scaled back for 2 sandwiches and had enough filling for 3 so we had 1 1/2 each and thoroughly enjoyed the crunch of the celery and toasted pinenuts and the zing of the lemon in these delightful morsels. Thank you Tisme, made for Make My Recipe.