I have no idea where I got this recipe, specifically, but I know I picked it up on a Seattle BBS when I was going by the nym of "Sari" back in the late 1980s, and it's still floating around on the internet, here and there. It is attributed to Janet Detter Margul@ The Fifth Dimension (that's an old BBS), in Dallas. An old family favorite and you can even disguise leftover turkey with this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups cooked chicken meat (the meat of one chicken, cooked)
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can nacho cheese soup
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 7 ounces chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 ounce) can chopped Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1 (1 lb) bag nacho cheese flavor Doritos
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Boil and bone one chicken, so you end up with chopped chicken meat; save the broth for another recipe (not this one). You can also use canned cooked chicken or cooked chicken breasts/thighs.
- 3In a microwave safe bowl, stir together the Velveeta cubes, Cheddar cheese, cream of mushroom soup (not with the milk, just the can of unreconstituted soup), chopped green chilies, chopped onion, and one can of chopped Ro-Tel tomatoes.
- 4Microwave 2 minutes, remove and stir.
- 5In a large (lasagne-sized) pan, layer: Dorito chips, chicken, cheese mixture, Doritos, chicken, cheese mixture.
- 6Bake in a 375°F oven for about 30 minutes, until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
- 7NOTE from Sari/Julesong: If you don't like Velveeta, you can use Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup instead.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Dorito
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 829.0
- Calories from Fat 464
- Total Fat 51.6 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 101.6 mg
- Sodium 2338.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 29.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: