Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have no idea where I got this recipe, specifically, but I know I picked it up on a Seattle BBS when I was going by the nym of "Sari" back in the late 1980s, and it's still floating around on the internet, here and there. It is attributed to Janet Detter Margul@ The Fifth Dimension (that's an old BBS), in Dallas. An old family favorite and you can even disguise leftover turkey with this recipe.
- 3 cups cooked chicken meat (the meat of one chicken, cooked)
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can nacho cheese soup
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 7 ounces chopped green chilies
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 ounce) canchopped Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 1 (1 lb) bag nacho cheese flavor Doritos
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Boil and bone one chicken, so you end up with chopped chicken meat; save the broth for another recipe (not this one). You can also use canned cooked chicken or cooked chicken breasts/thighs.
- In a microwave safe bowl, stir together the Velveeta cubes, Cheddar cheese, cream of mushroom soup (not with the milk, just the can of unreconstituted soup), chopped green chilies, chopped onion, and one can of chopped Ro-Tel tomatoes.
- Microwave 2 minutes, remove and stir.
- In a large (lasagne-sized) pan, layer: Dorito chips, chicken, cheese mixture, Doritos, chicken, cheese mixture.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for about 30 minutes, until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
- NOTE from Sari/Julesong: If you don't like Velveeta, you can use Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup instead.
We made this for dinner last night and I really liked it. I put extra hot sauce on it because I like very spicy food but it was good without it too. It's not a health conscious recipe but it's not like it's something we would eat all the time. It's good for when you want something good but don't feel like really cooking.
This is a GREAT recipe!!!! My whole family really enjoyed this.. Ecspecially the Dorito's that are in it!!! The kids said "that's what makes it taste so gooood!!!"
Very good! Made this for my husband, 2 year old, and a friend we had over to visit. All of them gobbled it up! rather than layer the chicken then the cheese mixture, I found it much easier to mix the chicken into the cheese mixture then layer that on top of the Doritos. The only thing I think I'll do differently next time is use a small 4 oz. can of green chilies instead of a 7 oz. can. We were all paying for those chilies later on! Other than that, this recipe is a keeper!