Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Special dish where the spice mixture clings to the meat. Easy to cook on the day as the chicken is prepared the day before. have a party, have a ball this dish here will please you all. Seriously a super aromatic curry.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, jointed
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 6 green cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon yellow split peas
- 1 ounce cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon white poppy seeds
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped finely
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 5 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 pint water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped
- In a frying pan, on low heat dry roast the cinnamon stick,cardamoms, cloves, cumin seeds, dried red chillies and the split peas. When the aroma is released from the spices remove them from the pan and allow to cool.
- Roast in the same way, the cashew nuts and poppy seeds, allow to cool.
- Grind all of the roasted spices together.
- Take the chicken and separate the legs from thighs and cut the breasts into two.
- Melt half of the butter in a pan and fry the onions, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes Remove from the pan by pressing the onions against the side of the pan to remove the butter. Allow to cool.
- In a blender mix together all of the roasted spices with the onions and yogurt till smooth.
- Put the chicken in a bowl and pour the liquidized mixture over it and refridgerate over night.
- Melt the remaining butter and add the garam masala fry 30 seconds. Add the chicken and the spices it was marinated in, fry for 6 minutes stirring to prevent sticking.
- Add the water and salt, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 mins till chicken is tender.
- Turn heat to medium and add the fresh coriander,mint and green chillies, stir and cook for 5 mins allowing the sauce to thicken a little.
- Serve with cumin seed boiled rice, and a mild vegetable curry.