Recipe by Brian Holley
Chicken marinated in a lemon spiced mix before cooking. This is a very good curry, coconut milk adds flavour and controls the amount of heat. See the curry powder recipe before you begin.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 tablespoon roasted curry powder (see recipe for curry powder)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch gingerroot, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 cardamoms, split open
- 2 cloves
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick, broken up
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a pan and dry fry the curry powder till it darkens slightly and the aroma intensifies.
- Mix together the lemon juice with the garlic, ginger,salt, pepper, curry powder, and chilli powder.
- Toss the chicken pieces in the spice mix and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pot and fry the curry leaves with the onions till soft.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, cardamoms, and cloves, stir well.
- Add the tomato paste and make sure that the chicken is well coated. Stir in water. Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the coconut milk and cook uncovered till the sauce thickens slightly.
- Adjust salt if needed.