Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is one of my favorite healthy comfort foods. I use to make the cream sauce from scratch and boil the chicken then shread it...I found a way to simplify and make it healther...and it's just as good! I usually serve this over whole wheat noodles or brown rice but it's also good with mashed potatoes.
- 1 (8 ounce) can white meat chicken
- 3 -4 slices deli ham
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shreaded sharp (Kraft's 2% is good!)
- 0.5 (10 ounce) can low-fat cream of celery soup (freeze the rest for later!)
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Heat oven to 350
- Pour oil in a large skillet and heat over med-high heat.
- Drain chicken from can and add to heated oil.
- Tear apart ham (bitesize pieces) and add to skillet.
- Keep stirring chicken/ham mixture around in skillet until chicken is slightly browned and there should be no oil left - it should all be absorbed.
- (appx 5 minutes total).
- Transfer chicken/ham mixture from skillet to a 9x9 (or close to 9x9) baking dish, add 1/2 cup of cheese, and set aside.
- Return skillet to stove and turn heat down to medium. Pour in the cream of celery soup and gradually add milk and stir to make smooth. Keep it bubbling for about a minute then turn down to low.
- Add dill, garlic, onion, nutmeg, and salt & pepper to soup mixture and stir until blended. Pour soup mixture over chicken/ham/cheese mixture and gently stir until everything is covered.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top then sprinkle on the remainder (1/4 cup) of the cheese. I usually then sprinkle on some more dill and black pepper but it's just for presentation.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.